Sunday, August 9, 2009

Layerless

Can we even begin to talk about the real notion of ending poverty? I'm in search of genuine dialogue with someone willing to speak without the filter of their fears and trepidations spilling out perverting, and preventing who they really are. As I've become immersed in the culture of ending poverty and its ugly hold on people suffering, it has become abundantly clear that it will not go away easily. I'm truly amazed at the level of self-hatred being expressed by some of those who live each day in the "middle class" intent on keeping someone else down. You heard me right...self-hatred. I know on the surface it appears that they make legitimate arguments as to why people find themselves in the clutches of poverty, but as you peel away at the layers of pain, we find the real culprit of their retort lurking like a thief in the night. Yes, some unspoken hurt, anguish, disappointment, or tragedy that they have failed to face relives its self moment after moment, parsing the words and actions of the disenfranchised. They run from the true perpetrator of their implosion and deflect attention away by spewing mean-spirited assaults on the character of those less fortunate than they. I want to have this dialogue with you, but only after you begin the recovery process toward finding the true essence of mankind, living, loving, letting, and helping all people find their way without accusations and ridicule. Ending poverty is within our grasp, if we see ourselves as we are-Connected.

2 comments:

  1. There are no more terrified people than the middle class. I can't seem to shake the shadow of panic that is always grazing my peripheral vision. The content of the shadow is influenced by the media of the moment, but is usually about losing everything. We are all, it seems, about two paychecks from the street. We wonder if we have what it takes to survive if we lost everything like "those people". It is so much safer for us to think they are different from ourselves - separate species. Honesty is way too dangerous buddy - the shadow is WAY too scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the biggest issue is making people realize the importance of saving and paying yourself first. You won't be able to move out of poverty if you don save for the possibility of the tire going flat or an unexpected medical bill. I know when I was working I was only making 20K a year but I made it a priority to pay myself first.Establishing a savings and budgeting is the first step!

    ReplyDelete